Happy Healthy Holidays

It's holiday season. A time for families, relaxation, fun, and more. A good time. Or is it? For many people this time of year is associated with a range of wellness challenges, which can often derail the fun and even make for a pretty miserable time. Let's look at some of the issues, and [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:47:53+02:00Dec 5th, 2019|Coping with Life, Features|0 Comments

The facts on fat

Throw the word fat into conversation and you will trigger an avalanche of debate on the latest diets and nutrition trends. Which is why somewhere between the low-fat era of the 90’s and present-day chants of “fat is back”, there appears to be much confusion about the truth of the healthiest fats to eat [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:48:11+02:00Nov 4th, 2019|Nutrition Foods, Nutrition General|0 Comments

Sanlam wellness rowing challenge

The Sanlam Wellness Rowing challenge, held recently at head office, was an initiative by the wellness champions and spearheaded by Elaine Kerchhoff and Bevan Louw – actuarial Wellness champions. The purpose of the event was a reminder to staff - in addition to being a follow-up to the Spinning Challenge  –  of optional ways [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:48:16+02:00Oct 15th, 2019|Active Living, Features, News, Wellness Events|0 Comments

Carbohydrate confusion?

Along with fat and protein, carbohydrates are one of the three food groups essential to human health. A healthy, balanced and varied diet is one that includes a combination of these food groups in the diet in adequate amounts, and the right quality of these goods, too. Yet carbohydrates have been at the centre [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:49:54+02:00Oct 15th, 2019|Nutrition Foods, Nutrition General|0 Comments

Skin cancer

There are three main types of skin cancer: Basal call carcinoma (BCC) Squamous call carcinoma (SCC) Melanoma BCCs rarely spread and can almost always be treated locally. SCCs sometimes spread but are not usually highly aggressive. Melanoma is the most dangerous form of skin cancer since it can spread quite early. All three types [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:50:13+02:00Oct 14th, 2019|Features|0 Comments

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer affecting women (breast cancer can and does affect men but only 1 in 100 cases are male), with some 2 million cases worldwide today. Risk factors include family history & genetics (including the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes), increasing age, obesity, lack of exercise, alcohol, young-onset menstruation, hormone [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:50:19+02:00Oct 14th, 2019|Features|0 Comments

Lung cancer

Lung cancer is mainly caused by smoking (90% of cases are linked to smoking, with the remaining 10% often linked to air pollution, second-hand smoke, or exposure to damaging chemicals like asbestos). Lung cancer affects more men than any other cancer, and is second only to breast cancer in women. Lung cancer becomes more [...]

By |2020-07-02T11:50:30+02:00Oct 14th, 2019|Features|0 Comments

Isabel Gwebu

I am a 57-year-old mother of 2 adult children, 165 cm tall and with a weight of 90.1kgs. I am obese medically speaking, with a ‘not to mention’ Body Mass Index. I don’t exercise, but I know how critical it is for a healthy lifestyle……yet I consider myself quite health conscious and take my [...]

By |2020-07-02T12:16:29+02:00Oct 2nd, 2019|Share your story|0 Comments


Alzheimer's disease (Alzheimer's) is characterised by gradual degeneration of the brain, typically beginning with short-term memory loss that progresses to full incapacity and withdrawal from society. Alzheimer's affects some 6% of people over 65, becoming more common as we age so that over 20% of those over 75 have Alzheimer's. NOTE FOR CLARITY: Dementia [...]

By |2019-12-12T08:32:08+02:00Sep 10th, 2019|Coping with Life, Features|0 Comments


Most of us approach nutrition with a "what to avoid" or "need to eat less" mindset and fair enough - with the world getting ever fatter (no insult intended, it's just a fact borne out by international statistics over the last 30+ years) most of us would do well to eat less in general [...]

By |2019-12-12T08:34:52+02:00Aug 28th, 2019|Nutrition Foods, Nutrition General|0 Comments
Go to Top